Gold Coast is the coastal city Queensland. Gold Coast is Australia’s most 6th largest city in Australia with an estimated population of over 560K people. It is also the largest non-capital city in Australia. Gold Coast located in 66km south-southeast of Brisbane (Queensland capital city). The size of the city is 1402 square kilometers. Gold Coast is famous for her 57 km of beaches (from South Stradbroke Island to Rainbow Bay) with an average water temperature of 22 degrees.
Based on our research Gold Coast population will reach 600,485 by June of 2020. We use end of June each year due to Australia Bureau Statistics ABS always follow Australia financial year when pushed the data. The calculation is based on the average growth rate of 1.72% over last 9 years since 2011. We believe using the recent years’ figures (see the table in next section) will make the estimation more accurate.
Population Growth of Gold Coast
Looking back last eight years of Gold Coast’s population, the growth rate is very consistent and strong ranging from 1.28% to 2.25%, adding around 7,098 to 11,614 people each year to the overall population.Tourism is Gold Coast’s main industry and consistently strong over the years. Tourism creates a lot job opportunities. As a result of that lots of people move to Gold Coat for work, which contributes to the population growth. God Coast has recorded the strong population growth in 2012 (2.25%), which is above the Australia population growth average.
Demography of Gold Coast
According to Australia census, Gold Coast is an extremely diverse city, with a huge number of ethnic and cultural groups living there.Almost two thirds of people living on the Gold Coast born overseas come from English speaking countries (in particular, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and South Africa). However, there have been small but growing numbers from across Asia including Japan, China, the Philippines, India and South Korea. Nationally, the country has also seen a shift from European to Asian migration (in particular from China and Southern Asia). Top 5 overseas countries of birth: New Zealand (9.2%),United Kingdom (7.1%),South Africa (1.3%),Japan (0.8%), China (excl. SARs and Taiwan) (0.7%). Top 5 languages other than English spoken at home: Japanese, Mandarin, Korean, Cantonese and Italian
Population Density of Gold Coast
Gold Coast population density is 417 people per square kilometer, which is ranking the most populated non state capital city in Australia.
Facts About Gold Coast
- The Gold Coast is one of Australia’s fastest growing cities. Its current population is over 500,000, but this number is expected to grow to 820,000 in the next 20-years.
- People of Queensland talk about their weather as “beautiful one day, perfect the next.” With an average of 300 days of sunshine every year on the Gold Coast, this comment is quite true.
- The Gold Coast is 5,000 Km2 in size and has 70 Km of coastline as well as 270 Km of waterways.
- In 2018, the number of tourists visiting the Gold Coast will increase above its usual 12-million per year as it is hosting the 21st Commonwealth Games.
- Gold Coast City has been identified as one of the most desirable places in the world to live ranked on political, social, economic and environmental factors, personal safety and health.
- The Gold Coast is located less than one hour’s drive south from Brisbane – a rail link and Pacific Motorway connects Brisbane to the Gold Coast.
- Serviced by two international and domestic airports, the Gold Coast is the international gateway to 26 destinations worldwide provided by 30 airlines.
- The Gold Coast offers one of the largest choices of themed attractions in the southern hemisphere with interactive experiences.
The following links provide data for this topic: