Kalgoorlie is a Western Australia city located on the 595 km east-northeast of Perth. With a population over 29,000, the city is 4th most populous place in WA. It also ranks 44th largest urban centre by population in Australia.
Based on our research, Kalgoorlie population will reach 29,409 by the end of June 2018. We use end of June each year due to Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) always follow Australian financial year when pushed the data. The calculation is based on the average growth rate of -0.68% over last 7 years since 2011. We believe using the recent years’ figures (see the table in next section) will make the estimation more accurate.
Population Growth of Kalgoorlie
Looking back last seven years of Kalgoorlie’s population, the growth rate is negative and not very promising ranging from -0.48% to -0.93%, decreasing around 145 to 280 people each year to the overall population. The main reason contributes to the population growth going backward is employment rate. People will move on if the employment opportunity is not there anymore. Kalgoorlie is one of the few cities recorded negative growth in Australia. The growth rate is well below the national population growth.
Demographics of Kalgoorlie
According to census, 52 percent of people living in Kalgoorlie are male, while 48% are female. Average age in Kalgoorlie is 33. The top countries of birth are: Australia 65.8%, New Zealand 7.9%, England 2.4%, Philippines 2.2%, South Africa 1.9% and India 1.2%. Top spoken languages at home are: English 78.6%, Afrikaans 1.3%, Tagalog 1.1%, Filipino 0.7%, Mandarin 0.7% and Hindi 0.5%.
The religious groups in Kalgoorlie consist of: No Religion, so described 33.4%, Catholic 22.1%, Not stated 13.1%, Anglican 10.9% and Christian, nfd 4.3%. In Kalgoorlie – Boulder, Christianity was the largest religious group reported overall (57.2%).
Population Density of Kalgoorlie
Kalgoorlie population density is 536 people per square kilometer.
Occupations and Industries
According to census, the main occupations of people living in Kalgoorlie are Technicians and Trades Workers 21.2%, Machinery Operators and Drivers 17.3%, Professionals 14.3%, Clerical and Administrative Workers 10.8%, and Community and Personal Service Workers 9.3%.
The main industries people from Kalgoorlie work in are 19.1% worked in Gold Ore Mining. Other major industries of employment included Primary Education 3.2%, Road Freight Transport 2.8%, Other Mining Support Services 2.7% and Hospitals (except Psychiatric Hospitals) 2.5%.
In terms of working hours, 8.4% worked 1 to 15 hours, 6.1% worked 16 to 24 hours and 58.1% worked 40 hours or more.
Facts About Kalgoorlie
- The city was founded in 1989 by the amalgamation of the towns of Kalgoorlie and Boulder. That is why the city is called Kalgoorlie-Boulder but known colloquially as just Kalgoorlie.
- The name Kalgoorlie is derived from the Wangai word Karlkurla or Kulgooluh, meaning “place of the silky pears”.
- Housing one of the richest gold deposits in the world, the ‘Super Pit’ in Kalgoorlie is a well know gold mine. Around 15 million tonnes of rock is moved from the Super Pit every year, making this dynamic operation truly worth its weight in gold.
- The median weekly personal income for people aged 15 years and over in was $970.
- The size of Kalgoorlie is 75.1 km2.
- Kalgoorlie has very hot summer. January is the hottest month with an average maximum temperature of 33.6 °C, but temperatures above 40.0 °C occur nearly once a week.
The following links provide data for this topic:The following links provide data for this topic: