Toowoomba is a city of Queensland. It is located on the 125 km west of Queensland state capital city, Brisbane. With population over 115,000, the city is the 16th-largest city in Australia and the sixth-largest in Queensland after Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Townsville and Cairns. Toowoomba is known as “The Garden City” in Australia.
Based on our research Toowoomba population will reach 118,499 by the end of June 2018. We use end of June each year due to Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) always follow Australian financial year when pushed the data. The calculation is based on the average growth rate of 1.21% over last 7 years since 2011. We believe using the recent years’ figures (see the table in next section) will make the estimation more accurate.
Population Growth of Toowoomba
Looking back last seven years of Toowoomba’s population, the growth rate is very consistent and strong ranging from 1.0% to 1.76%, adding around 1246 to 1922 people each year to the overall population. The reasons contribute to the population growth is that tourism is consistently strong over the years. Job opportunities and cheaper housing bring people to Toowoomba. On the other hand, beautiful weather also attracts retirees and young people living here.
Demographics of Toowoomba
According to census, Over 70 percent of people living in Toowoomba City were born in Australia. The other top countries of birth are: England, New Zealand, China, India and United States of America. Over 83 percent of people living in Toowoomba speak English only. The other top languages spoken are: Mandarin, Cantonese, Italian, Arabic and French.
The religious makeup of Toowoomba is 23.7% Catholic, 19.0% No religion, 18.7% Anglican, 10.7% Religious affiliation not stated, 4.4% Christian, 4.2% Uniting Church, 3.7% Presbyterian and Reformed, 2.8% Lutheran, 2.0% Buddhism, 1.6% Pentecostal.
Population Density of Toowoomba
Toowoomba population density is 230 people per square kilometer. It is one of the most populated cities in Queensland.
Occupations and Industries
According to census, the main occupations of people living in Toowoomba are 20.8% Professionals, 13.9% Technicians & trades workers, 13.4% Labourers, 12.6% Clerical & administrative workers, 12.4% Community & personal service workers, 9.6% Sales workers, 9.2% Managers, 5.8% Machinery operators & drivers.
The main industries people from Toowoomba City work in are 15.9% Health care and social assistance, 13.4% Retail trade, 10.0% Manufacturing, 9.2% Education and training, 7.5% Accommodation and food services, 7.2% Public administration and safety, 7.2% Construction, 4.8% Professional, scientific and technical services, 4.0% Other services.
Facts About Toowoomba
- With over 150 public parks & gardens, it is known as the “Garden City” hosting Australia’s largest annual Flower show.
- It has a large sporting community & one of Australia’s oldest & best known race tracks (Clifford Park Racecourse), which holds a twilight meeting every Saturday.
- Located only 127 km from Brisbane CBD it has over 25 suburbs.
- In 1930 Cyril Weis created the unique ice cream without a stick continues to be produced in Toowoomba – Weis is Australia’s best-selling fruit and ice cream product today.
- Toowoomba has the biggest Harvey Norman Electrical & Computer store under the one roof in Queensland as at 4 Nov 2010.
- Toowoomba’s Clifford Park racecourse conducted Australia’s first ever night race meeting on September 4, 1996.
- Toowoomba Clydesdales: won the Inaugural Rugby League Queensland Cup in 1996.
- FKG Tour of Toowoomba: Is the first Queensland Cycle Road Race to be included in the Australian Road Racing Cycle Series.
The following links provide data for this topic: