Launceston is a city of Tasmania. Launceston has an estimated population of over 66,000 people, which accounts for 0.36% of Australian population. Launceston is the second largest city in Tasmania after Hobart. The city is also one of largest 50 cities by population in Australia. It is located 198 km from Hobart.
Based on our research, Launceston population will reach 66,689 by the end of June of 2023. We use end of June each year due to Australia Bureau Statistics always follow Australia financial year when they published the data. The calculation is based on the average growth rate of -0.03% over last 11 years since 2011. We believe using the recent years’ figures (see the table in next section) will make the estimation more accurate.
Population Growth of Launceston
Looking back last eleven years Launceston’s population, the growth rate is not very promising, only last year recorded a positive growth, other years are negative. If so, the drop is not significant range from 6 to 129 people. What most likely cause the population drop is due to employment rate in this city.
Demographics of Launceston
According to Australia census, 76.8% of people living in the suburb of Launceston were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were 4.1% England, 1.3% India, 1.3% New Zealand, 0.9% China , 0.8% Scotland, 0.8% South Africa, 0.7% Malaysia, 0.7% Singapore, 0.5% Poland, 0.4% United States of America, 0.4% Philippines, 0.3% Italy, 0.3% Morocco, 0.3% Eritrea.
The religious makeup of Launceston is 34.2% No religion, 20.3% Anglican, 17.0% Catholic, 8.8% Religious affiliation not stated, 3.3% Uniting Church, 3.1% Presbyterian and Reformed, 2.0% Other religious affiliation , 1.6% Christian, 1.4% Buddhism, 1.3% Baptist.
Population Density of Launceston
The size of Launceston is 435.4 km², so the population density is 153 people per km², which is one of the most populated cities in Tasmania.
Occupations and Industries
The main occupations of people living in Launceston are 32.2% Professionals, 12.7% Managers, 12.2% Clerical & administrative workers, 11.9% Community & personal service workers, 11.7% Technicians & trades workers, 9.4% Sales workers, 6.0% Labourers, 3.3% Machinery operators & drivers, 0.6% Occupation inadequately described/ Not stated.
The main industries people from Launceston work in are 14.5% Health care and social assistance, 12.2% Accommodation and food services, 11.4% Education and training, 10.4% Retail trade, 7.4% Public administration and safety, 6.4% Construction, 6.1% Professional, scientific and technical services, 5.2% Manufacturing, 3.5% Other services.
Facts About Launceston
- The postcode for Launceston is 7250.
- Launceston is in the federal electorate of Bass.
- Launceston was named after a town in the United Kingdom –Launceston, Cornwall.
- This city is the first Australian city to have underground sewers and the first Australian city to be lit by hydroelectricity.
- The city was established in 1806.
- Launceston has three sister cities: Ikeda (Japan), Napa (US) and Taiyuan (China).
- The population is comprised of approximately 49.7% females and 50.3% males.
- The median/average age of the people in Launceston is 36 years of age.
The following links provide data for this topic:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics: www.abs.gov.au
- City of Launceston: www.launceston.tas.gov.au
- australia.gov.au: australia.gov.au