Phillip Island is an Australian island in Victoria with a population of over 12,000. The island is located approximately 140 km south-southeast of Melbourne (Victoria’s state capital city).
Based on our research, Phillip Island population will reach 12,635 by the end of June of 2023. We use end of June each year due to Australia Bureau Statistics always follow Australia financial year when pushed the data. The calculation is based on the average growth rate of 2.48% over last 11 years since 2011. We believe using the recent years’ figures (see the table in next section) will make the estimation more accurate.
Population Growth of Phillip Island
Looking back last ten years of Phillip Island’s population, the grow rate is very consistent and strong ranging from 1.43% to 4.18%, adding around 140 to 392 people each year to the overall population. Lot of people was moving to Phillip Island due to it is such a popular tourist destination and it is not very far from Melbourne. Cheaper housing price compared with Melbourne also makes people happy to live here.
Demographics of Phillip Island
According to Australia census, 78.0% of people living in Phillip Island were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were 7.8% England, 1.6% New Zealand, 1.1% Scotland, 0.9% Netherlands, 0.6% Germany, 0.4% Phillippines, 0.3% Ireland, 0.3% India, 0.2% Northern Ireland, 0.2% Italy, 0.2% Malta, 0.2% United States of America, 0.1% China , 0.1% Hungary.
The religious makeup of Phillip Island is The religious makeup of Hastings is 32.5% No religion, 20.8% Anglican, 20.4% Catholic, 9.4% Religious affiliation not stated, 3.7% Presbyterian and Reformed, 3.5% Uniting Church, 2.1% Christian, 1.5% Baptist, 1.5% Other religious affiliation , 1.2% Pentecostal.
Population Density of Phillip Island
The size of Phillip Island is 100 km2, so the population density is 109 people per square kilometer. It is one of the most populated island in Australia.
Occupations and Industries
The main occupations of people living in Phillip Island are 21.4% Technicians & trades workers, 15.0% Labourers, 12.2% Community & personal service workers, 11.3% Sales workers, 10.6% Clerical & administrative workers, 9.6% Professionals, 9.1% Machinery operators & drivers, 8.2% Managers, 2.5% Occupation inadequately described/ Not stated.
The main industries people from Phillip Island work in are 14.8% Manufacturing, 14.3% Retail trade, 13.0% Construction, 11.7% Health care and social assistance, 6.3% Public administration and safety, 5.4% Accommodation and food services, 4.9% Other services, 4.5% Education and training, 4.3% Transport, postal and warehousing.
Facts About Phillip Island
- The island was name after Arthur Phillip, the first Governor of New South Wales.
- It is 26 km long and 9 km wide, with an area of about 100 km2.
- It has 97 km of coastline and is part of the Bass Coast Shire.
- Phillip Island is a tourist destination visited by 3.5 million people annually.
- It is comprised of approximately 51.9% females and 48.1% males.
- The median/average age of the people in Hastings is 37 years of age.
- During the summer, the population soars to 40,000 due to holiday peak season.
- 60% of the island is farmland devoted to grazing of sheep and cattle.
The following links provide data for this topic:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics: www.abs.gov.au
- Victorian Government: www.vic.gov.au
- Live in Victoria: www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au
- Visit Phillip Island: www.visitphillipisland.com