Bathurst is a regional city of New South Wale. The city has population of over 42,000 people. The city is located 203 km north west of Sydney. Bathurst ranks 41st most populated city in Australia, which accounts for 0.15% of the national population.
Based on our research, Bathurst population will reach 43,408 by June of 2018. We use end of June each year due to Australia Bureau Statistics ABS always follow Australia financial year when publish the data. The calculation is based on the average growth rate of 1.19% over last seven years since 2011. We believe using the recent years’ figures (see the table in next section) will make the estimation more accurate.
Population Growth of Bathurst
Looking back last seven years of Bathurst’s population growth, the growth rate is very consistent and strong ranging from 0.96% to 1.39%, adding around 385 to 572 people each year to the overall population.
More and more people seem to be happy to live or move to Bathurst due to the life style, employment opportunities and relatively cheaper housing than Sydney.
Demographics of Bathurst
According to Australia census, 80.7% of people living in the suburb of Bathurst were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were 2.3% England, 1.2% New Zealand, 0.6% China , 0.5% India, 0.4% Scotland, 0.3% United States of America, 0.3% Netherlands, 0.3% Sudan, 0.3% Philippines, 0.2% South Africa, 0.2% Italy, 0.2% Malaysia, 0.2% Lebanon, 0.2% Ireland.
The religious makeup of Bathurst is 33.5% Catholic, 19.9% Anglican, 19.2% No religion, 9.6% Religious affiliation not stated, 4.4% Presbyterian and Reformed, 4.3% Uniting Church, 1.6% Buddhism, 1.5% Christian, nfd, 1.3% Other religious affiliation , 1.3% Baptist.
Population Density of Bathurst
The size Bathurst is 3,820 km², so Bathurst’s population density is 11 people per km², which is one of the most populated regional cities in New South Wales.
Occupations and Industries
The main occupations of people living in Bathurst are 23.2% Professionals, 12.9% Community & personal service workers, 12.9% Technicians & trades workers, 12.0% Sales workers, 12.0% Labourers, 10.7% Clerical & administrative workers, 9.7% Managers, 5.2% Machinery operators & drivers, 1.4% Occupation inadequately described/ Not stated.
The main industries people from Bathurst work in are 13.6% Education and training, 12.9% Retail trade, 12.6% Health care and social assistance, 10.8% Accommodation and food services, 8.8% Manufacturing, 7.5% Public administration and safety, 6.2% Construction, 4.7% Professional, scientific and technical services, 3.2% Other services.
Facts About Bathurst
- Bathurst is often referred to as the Gold Country as it was the site of the first gold discovery and where the first gold rush occurred in Australia.
- The median/average age of the people in Bathurst is 35 years of age.
- The Bathurst region was originally occupied by the Wiradjuri Aboriginal people.
- Education is Bathurst’s largest industry with 60 education facilities.
- The city is comprised of approximately 49.8% females and 50.2% males.
- Bathurst’s population has had rapid growth periods during the mid to late 19th century gold rush period.
- Bathurst postcode is 2795.
- Bathurst is in the federal electorate of Calare.
The following links provide data for this topic:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics: www.abs.gov.au
- New South Wales Government: www.nsw.gov.au
- Visit NSW: www.visitnsw.com