Hervey Bay is a Queensland city located on the north of Brisbane. With a population over 57,000, the city is the 10th-most-populous place in Queensland by population. The local economy replies on tourism. It is famous for whale watching because Hervey Bay is the resting place for humpback whales.
Based on our research, Hervey Bay population will reach 58,928 by the end of June 2023. We use end of June each year due to Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) always follow Australian financial year when pushed the data. The calculation is based on the average growth rate of 1.36% over last 11 years since 2011. We believe using the recent years’ figures (see the table in next section) will make the estimation more accurate.
Population Growth of Hervey Bay
Looking back last ten years of Hervey Bay’s population, the growth rate is very consistent and strong ranging from 0.10% to 2.03%, adding around 52 to 1040 people each year to the overall population. The reasons contribute to the population growth is that tourism is consistently strong over the years. Tourism creates a lot of job opportunities in Hervey Bay. The growth is pretty much align with the national population growth.
Demographics of Hervey Bay
According to census, 49.3 percent of people living in Hervey Bay are male, while 52.5% are female. Average age in Hervey Bay is 48. The top countries of birth are: Australia (66.7%), England (3.9%), New Zealand (2.2%), Germany (0.4%), Scotland (0.5%) and Philippine (0.1%). The other top languages spoken are: German, Mandarin, French, Dutch and Italian.
The religious groups Hervey Bay consist of: 29.6% No religion, 13.3% Anglican, 22.6% Catholic, 3.7% Uniting Church and 9.6% note stated.
Population Density of Hervey Bay
Hervey Bay population density is 561 people per square kilometer.
Occupations and Industries
According to census, the main occupations of people living in Hervey Bay are 17.5% Professionals, 14.9% Technicians & trades workers, 14.0% Community & personal service workers, 12.7% Clerical & administrative workers, 11.9% Sales workers, 11.6% Labourers, 9.9% Managers, 5.8% Machinery operators & drivers.
The main industries people from Hervey Bay work in are 17.6% Health care and social assistance, 13.5% Retail trade, 9.7% Accommodation and food services, 9.6% Education and training, 9.5% Construction, 5.4% Public administration and safety, 5.0% Manufacturing, 4.4% Other services, 3.9% Professional, scientific and technical services.
Facts About Hervey Bay
- The city has a wonderful subtropical climate. Temperatures range from 14 to 23 degrees Centigrade in winter and 22 to 29 degrees Centigrade in summer.
- Hervey Bay is the largest population centre within the Fraser Coast Region.
- In Hervey Bay, 60.9% of people had both parents born in Australia and 20.1% of people had both parents born overseas.
- In 2008, Hervey Bay was the fastest growing statistical division in the country.
- Hervey Bay is 113 km (70 mi) from Bundaberg.
- The first recorded European sighting of Hervey Bay was made by James on 22 May 1770.
The following links provide data for this topic:The following links provide data for this topic:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics: www.abs.gov.au
- Queensland Government: www.qld.gov.au
- Fraser Coast Council: www.frasercoast.qld.gov.au